Who we care for
The Children’s Epilepsy Nursing Service is a holistic service for patients aged 0-19 years within Norfolk Community Health Care. Our services are open to families living in Norfolk and registered with a GP within Norwich, South Norfolk, North Norfolk and West Norfolk (excluding Thetford and Great Yarmouth and Waveney).
We work in partnership with children and their families, who have a diagnosis of epilepsy or are on a pathway to having a diagnosis of epilepsy.
What we offer
The Children’s Epilepsy Nursing Service will:
- Provide a service which is accessible, responsive and effective in a variety of settings appropriate to the child’s needs
- Offer a holistic service for children and young people with epilepsy, their families and carers. This will be achieved by:
- Providing detailed information and advice at an appropriate time during diagnosis and treatment by the use of resources available (leaflets, videos, DVDs etc)
- Formulating packages of care following referrals according to holistic, individual needs. This may involve visits to homes, nurseries, playgroups, schools and hospital
- Providing information and training as required to staff and carers in all areas of the statutory and voluntary sectors, including nurseries, playgroups and social services
- Providing information and training to the UEA School of Nursing
- Developing a link nurse network between primary and secondary care
- Providing a Transition Clinic for young people transitioning to the adult epilepsy service
- Providing a telephone helpline service for children, young people, families and carers
Priority will be given to:
- Newly diagnosed patients
- Patients with refractory epilepsy
- Children prescribed emergency medication who require the provision of a care plan and training to parents, carers, settings
We do not provide:
- A service for children and young people with a non-epileptic seizure disorder; this includes faints and “funny turns”
- A service for children experiencing febrile convulsions unless they have been prescribed Buccal Midazolam
Referrals for the Children’s Epilepsy Service primarily come from the Children’s Epilepsy Clinics held at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn.
We also accept referrals from community consultant paediatricians and GPs.
We accept requests for training from Education including Early Years settings for children already under our care.
Tel: 01553 668 602