This service provides assessment for electronic assistive technology equipment to enable people with complex physical disabilities to live with a degree of independence in the community.
What are the benefits?
- To increase independence for the user, enhance quality of life and help maintain the integrity of family life.
Is there a cost to the user?
- There is no cost to the user. Equipment, including maintenance and service, is provided on a loan basis to an individual.
- Funding for equipment is limited and priority of provision is given to those who are at risk and those with a long-term substantial need.
- The service does not provide additional phone lines, sockets, electrical or carpentry work.
Who we care for
Environmental Control equipment is provided to people of any age who meet the following criteria:
- Profound and potentially complex physical disability, where standard controls cannot be used to function independently in the home
- Where simpler and cheaper commercial solutions are not appropriate
- Where simple solutions are not available via another service, e.g. Social Services Assistive Technology
- Cognitively and physically able to operate Environmental Control (EC) equipment consistently
- Able to demonstrate sustained motivation to use the EC equipment
- Individuals requiring multiple control functions integrated into a single means of access and for whom multiple devices, each with a separate function, are inappropriate
- Where there is potential for integrating functions such as: communication with powered wheelchair control or bed controls
Any health or social care professional can refer. Download a referral form.
Tel: 01603 255753
Environmental Control Service for Norfolk
Jubilee House, Colman Centre, Unthank Road, Norwich NR2 2PJ
Tel: 01603 255753
Help with health costs
If you're referred to hospital or other NHS premises for specialist NHS treatment or diagnostic tests by a doctor, dentist or another primary care health professional, you may be able to claim a refund of reasonable travel costs under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS). Find out more about the HTCS.